My Spot

Saturday, February 09, 2008

The Hawfinch


A few minutes ago I managed to take this photo of a hawfinch in my seed bowl. These birds are extremely beautiful - they even have some feathers at the end of their wings (near the tail) that are of very unusual shapes, and which I have never seen on any other bird before. Hawfinches usually come to my feeder during the winter. A couple of years ago I counted more than 20 every day! This year, however, there's just one bird that drops by for a bite every now and then. It was extremely difficult to make this photo. Hawfinches are among the most paranoid birds I know! They move and twitch all the time and they fly away at the slightest move they notice! This one usually panics and flies away even before I manage to take my camera out of the box, but this time, hunger was bigger than fear and he stayed just long enough for me to take this shot! :-)

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home