My Spot

Saturday, July 30, 2016

Urban Sketching: Pokemon Hunters

Urban Sketching: Pokemon Hunters

They come at night.
They prowl the streets, surrounded by a cloud of mysterious white light emanating from their smartphones.
They stop.
They hunt.
They move on.
They are the Pokemon hunters.

We all know the latest craze of the "Pokemon Go" game. People just stare into their phones and walk around like zombies, hunting those little colourful virtual monsters. I don't play the game myself (I'm a child of the Gameboy generation and touchscreens just don't do it for me), but I still can't escape the Pokemon madness. Over the past couple of weeks I've been woken up at 10 or 11 p.m. by frantic shouts "I got it! I got it!" or "Noooo! It escaped!" Aparently, there are several Pokemons living across the street from my building. Well, on the one hand I do understand the Pokemon-mania. The way things are going at the moment with all the violence and death around the world, people simply need an escape: something to take them back to the times of their childhood, something that's the equivalent of a soft toy on a touchscreen.
However, on the other hand, I think there's something creepy about all these people prowling the streets at all hours of the day, glued to their smartphones and just generally looking like zombies. But I'm not judging anyone. If Pokemons help you survive, go for it!

The sketch was drawn on 29th July 2016 at night. Tools used for the sketch:
Pentel Brush pen (black ink), Pentel Aquash brush pen, Marco Superb Writer water color pencils, Staedtler Pigment Liner 0.5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home