My Spot

Thursday, April 14, 2016

Bottle-Cap Owls

Bottle-Cap Owls

I love making things. Recently, I came across an interesting idea on the Australian site "Better Homes and Gardens" (in this article)
on how to make recycled lid owls. Well, I couldn't find any tin jar lids around the house, but I have plenty of plastic ones. So, I got out my hot glue gun, a bunch of plastic bottle caps and lids, some paper clips and an old plate control strip (it's a suprasetter plate that my neighbour threw away once and I took it and stored it for making decorations).
Here's how it's done:

1) Take the lids and the bottle caps and arrange them into different faces.
2) Make the beak, the eyebrows and the feet from tin. I used my suprasetter plate, but you could simply take any tin can from a soft drink, cut it up and use that instead. The only thing that's important is that you can cut the tin with regular scissors and bend it with your fingers. This way, no complicated tools are necessary AND you can easily glue everything together.
3) The first element to be glued onto the owl is the beak. For the beak, cut a square and fold two corners in to make  triangle. Then glue it on the large lid.
4) Next, glue the eyes. Just arrange the bottle caps the way you want and start gluing. First, glue the bottom two caps in such a way that they overlap the top edge of the beak. Then, glue in the rest of the caps. Finally, use a black permanent marker to draw in the eyes.
5) Then come the eyebrows. Just cut them out from your sheet of tin and use a drop of hot glue to stick them above the eyes.
6) Finally, make the feet.  I cut out a semicircle. Then, along the flat edge, I made three small cuts in each corner - these are the claws. Bend the claws down in a 90 degree angle. Bend the part between the claws back and flatten it against the rest of the semicircle. Glue the flat semicircle onto the edge of the lid.
7) The last part is the hook, so that you can hang our owl up on the wall. I used paperclips. Just bend a paperclip into an L shape, stick the smaller part under the edge of the lid and squirt a generous amount of hot glue over it.

The owl is done! Now, you can hang it up on the wall or use it as a garden decoration :-)

This is a fun activity for adults as well as for kids, so go ahead and have some fun making these colorful owls yourself! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home