My Spot

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

War-time Radio


Radio worms
Originally uploaded by Cobra_11
This morning, I heard on the radio that it's 80 years since Radio Ljubljana (as it was called back then) started operating. That was back in 1928. In order to celebrate this anniversary, they made a short inquiry: people could call and tell about their most memorable moments with the radio. I didn't call, but while I was listening to the show, I started thinking about my radio memories... And I came up with my most memorable one: war-time radio (I was 7 years old back then). During the war for the independence of Slovenia in 1990, radio was the only portable source of news that we had and that we always took with us into the shelter during the air raids. The one thing that I remember the most has to do with the music that was on in that time. There were only 2 songs that they played over and over again: one was by a Slovene singer and the other one was Wind of Change by The Scorpions. I remember listening to the song on a small transistor I had with me and watching the "rain" of bombs falling just a few kilometres away from our village... Scary, but still beautiful memories of the time! Whatever one might think, these things were a part of my childhood and memories of those days are among my most cherished ones... Back then, I didn't quite grasp the seriousness of the situation and my most important concern was to protect and save my little blue parrot (budgerigar) :-)

So, I decided to post a photo on my Flickr site - in memory of those days! :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home