My Spot

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Lego Braille teaching aid

Lego Braille teaching aid by Cobra_11
Lego Braille teaching aid, a photo by Cobra_11 on Flickr.

A good way to start learning Braille is to use some sort of model with big Braille bumps. There are quite a few such Braille teaching aids available: from keychains to little Braille blocks. Although I already know Braille and can recognize it in its standard size (as it is embossed on paper), I decided to make myself such a Braille teaching aid - just because it's fun to twirl it around in your hand and recognize the letters that are being "written". As you can see, I used Lego to build it. The three white levels of the cube can be turned for 360°. By turning the levels, Braille letters are being formed with the bumps. For example, here on the photo is the letter "t": the middle level slightly turned to the left just to illustrate how the levels can be turned.

I have already posted a photo, which shows how I recognize Legos using only my sense of touch. Building Legos blind is quite challenging, but still a lot of fun and I'm getting quite good at it: it took me about 20 minutes to put this together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home