My Spot

Friday, April 28, 2006

The ultimate invention


I collect them, so I might as well write something about them. I'm talking about one of the most famous inventions ever. You've all heard of it, some of you even have it. You're probably wondering which thing I mean. Well, let me give you some clues: red handle, silver logo, numerous tools. Well? Figured it out yet? No? OK, one more clue: MacGyver. Now you know, right? That's right! I'm talking about the famous Swiss Army Knife.

For me this is the ultimate invention. You can use it to do just about anything: from cutting bread to fixing a car. All the tools you could possibly want, neatly packed between two red plates - it's THE thing you want to have with you when you're in trouble.

I got my first one when I was 6 or 7 years old. It was one of my first serious, "grown-up" possessions. At first, I just "pealed" sticks of wood with it, but I soon graduated to taking things apart and fixing them with it.
But to me it was more than just a gizmo to play with. When my mum gave me my first one, it proved to me that she trusted me - even with "grown-up" things. It was a reward which I respected and valued highly.
I learnt another lesson with it, too. You can use a knife to destroy things, but you can use it to fix or make new things which is much better and more fun to do!

I still use the Swiss Knife - now I use it to "channel my inner genius" :-) . And I still have loads of fun with it!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home