My Spot

Friday, February 24, 2012

How I learnt Braille alphabet

How to learn the basic Braille alphabet:

1) The basic Braille cell for every letter has 6 dots numbered in this sequence:
1 4
2 5
3 6

2) Line a-j is the base line. You simply have to memorize it.

3) Line k-t is the base line with the addition of dot 3.

4) Line u-z is the base line (the letters a-e only) with the addition of dots 3 and 6.

5) The only exception to this is the letter W, which is the mirror image of the letter R.

6) In addition to the original Braille alphabet there are the letters Č, Š, Ž, which are the letters found in Slovene alphabet.

7) The punctuation is the base line a-j moved down one level.

8) There are also some double letterings and symbols for words on my table.

As I have already explained on my previous photos, I now use only my sense of touch to read and write Braille. However, when I was learning it, I was still using my sight. This is the method I used. It only took me a couple of hours to memorize the entire alphabet. Try if for yourself! It's not that difficult :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home