My Spot

Thursday, May 04, 2006

Lady Murgatroid



Lady Murgatroid - a loveable, old, home-grown plant. Well, not that old. It's about 3 years old and it's my avocado plant. I grew it from a kernel. If you want to raise such a plant, all you have to do is buy an avocado fruit. Eat the edible part and put the big kernel from the middle of it into water so that the top (that is the pointy part) is above the surface of the water (this is done best if you stick 3 or 4 toothpicks into the kernel to support it). When the sprout and the little root come out, plant it, give it plenty of water to drink and talk to it, of course :-) This did the trick for me! It takes a long time for the plant to appear (up to 4 months!), so don't give up!

My plant is now about a metre tall, with a beautiful crown full of enormous leaves. However, after all this tender love and care my Lady came up with a surprise - she grew thorns! Or at least that's what I think they are. Does any of you perhaps know if avocado plants grow thorns? I would appreciate any kind of botanical contribution :-)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home