My Spot

Friday, June 09, 2006

What a lovely day!


This morning I was watching a TV series about cooking. The enthusiasm of the guy on the screen was so contageous that I absolutely wanted to cook or bake or roast or fry or whatever something delicious. After giving it some (but not too much) thought, I decided to bake ... bread! That's right! Bread!

I've been baking bread for quite some time now. We have the bread-maker at home and it's my "sacred" duty to make sure that there's always enough bread in the house. However, today I didn't use the machine. I did the whole thing the oldfashioned way - by hand.

I also used my imagination and spiced the bread up a bit. And by "spiced" I mean literally spiced: I added three kinds of spices in the dough to give it that special flavour and taste.

So, for all of you eager bakers out there, here's my secret of the tasty bread.
Use any recipe for plain white or wholemeal bread. Before you start kneading the ingredients into a dough, add a pinch of your favourite spice (I added marjoram and origano and "sheatry" - for all those of you who are foreigners, this is one of out native spices; but it can be any spice you like). Be careful not to use too much of the spice, because too much of the flavour can spoil your bread. If you want, you can grind the spices in a mortar before adding them to the other ingredients. Then, simply go about with the dough as usual. After baking it for an hour you will have a deliciously smelling bread to eat and naturally "flavoured" air in your kitchen. Very appetizing!!

Oh, and another BIG news: I passed my last exam at the university with flying colours!!!!!! Congratulations to me!!!!!!

2 Comments:

  • At June 10, 2006 6:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Let me be the first to congratulate you. Well done!
    Aaaah - I can smell the bread now - there's few smells as delightful as freshly baked bread.

     
  • At June 11, 2006 7:03 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Thank you, Trevor, for the compliment.
    And about the bread - I agree. This is one of the most delightful smells for me, as well. Especially if the loaf is the "masterpiece" of your own hands :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home