My Spot

Sunday, May 21, 2006

For crying out loud... - Part 2


Yesterday I "indulged" myself again in watching The Eurovision Song Competition . This time I tried to sit in front of the TV completely impartially. However, I didn't last long in my neutral state. After about five minutes I couldn't help myself but to explode with criticism! The singers and bands were absolutely appalling! They had nothing to show but vibrating body parts and bad choreography! Absolutely ghastly!

Thank goodness that at least the organisers in Athens saved what was left to save! The opening of the finals was great! I especially liked the part when the two moderators came "flying down" to the stage. The stage itself was also brilliantly prepared: the lightened "steps" as scenery had an absolutely amazing effect! And I think that the part with the special guest at the end was very nice, too.

Let me conclude by commenting on the winners. The Gothic monsters joined under the name Lordi were probably a shock for many people but not to me. I think it's great that they won. You might ask me why. Well, I have a couple of reasons for that. First of all, it was about time that something radical happened on the Eurovision. Next, there was actually nobody else that could win: all the singers relied on their provocative body-part shaking and putting as much skin as possible on display - so much so that there was no originality whatsoever to be seen; Lordi were the only ones that did something unusual and different. And thirdly, the "cuddly" little creatures eventually grew to my heart, so this, combined with the fact that I'm a rock-fan myself, naturally led to my cheering for them quite vigorously at the end :-)

So, all's well that ends well! Let's hope that Lordi's CD will be available soon and that there will be some more to come!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home