My Spot

Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Saving the critters


Every time I mow the lawn, I tread on the grass very carefully. There are so many little creepy-crawlies which are in danger to become minced meat under the blades of my lawn mower. Whenever I see one, I usually pick it up and take it to safety in the hedge. So far, I've saved numerous blindworms, praying mantises, snails, grasshoppers and crickets this way. And every time I do such a noble deed, my generosity does not go unrewarded.

I got rewarded again last night - for the first time this year! Sitting on the balcony and waiting for MacGyver and Pete (for those of you who don't know them yet - they are my two hedgehogs), a cricket began to sing his evening serenade. After a couple of seconds, an owl joined in with its vigorous hooting. It was beautiful! I just sat there and listened. Mack and Pete didn't show up, but I enjoyed a couple of blissful moments very much before going to sleep...

9 Comments:

  • At May 10, 2006 2:21 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    You do know that hedgehogs eat bugs and earthworms, don't you? ;)

    For a moment I felt something close to envy. I wish I could have been there to enjoy the moment.

     
  • At May 11, 2006 1:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, I do know that Macky and Pety eat the rescued lawn-mower victims ;) But, no worries: every night I put apples and milk on a certain spot in the garden for the two rascals. They know that and they never forget to come and eat their meal :)

    Envy, ha? :) Well, it really was beautiful - even the more so, because it was the first concert this year :)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 3:49 AM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    How very thoughtful of you :) I'm sure your two hedgehog buddies are grateful :)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Yes, indeed, they are grateful... (And fat!) In fact, they are so grateful that they let me touch them and bring them inside. Once they are safely in my room, I clean away all the ticks they get from running around through grass. After the "operation" they get a little dish full of delicious coffee-cream (which is better than milk, mind you - they lick this dessert with great appetite every time) and then I have to carry them back to the exact same spot where I had picked them up. This way they don't get disoriented and lost. It's great fun being Mr(s). Doolittle :)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 2:20 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    You amaze me. You really do.

     
  • At May 12, 2006 12:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, to many people the hedgehog-operation would seem disgusting. But when you see those greatful eyes and the relief of the poor tick-sucked animal, you don't hesitate to do :) Besides, being a vet has always been a secret wish of mine ;)

     
  • At May 12, 2006 2:55 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    I'd love to read more about you and your hedgehog friends :)

    (btw, it's spelled grateful ;))

     
  • At May 13, 2006 9:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I know the spelling - this was a typo which I noticed too late. But thank you, nevertheless. By the way: you should also revise the use of commas in Slovene... (said with the best intention possible!)

     
  • At May 13, 2006 2:44 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    Just too lazy to take the time and learn. I'm aware of the problem tho...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home