My Spot

Tuesday, May 09, 2006

It's beyond my understanding

With the FIFA World Cup (or whatever the name of the thing that will take place in Germany is) coming up, I decided to write a piece on team sports.

They are a funny thing, actually. According to many people they "bond, evoke team-spirit in a person, are fun to play" and so on. To me, they are everything but bonding, team-spirit-evoking, fun-to-play activities. Let's take football (or soccer, as it's known in the States), for example. A bunch of old men, running around in shorts, grabbing themselves by their private parts, that never really grew out of their childhood years. Or water polo: a group of men in funny caps, splashing around in the water. Handball: an agressive, leg-stretching thing. Rugby (or football, as it's known in USA): head-bashing, agression-releasing activity with a hord of men, growling and howling around the field.

Then, there's also the risk of injury or even death, when a team-mate comes smashing into you with the noble intention of scoring a point for your team. A point just doesn't justify broken bones or even death to me - especially if your team loses at the end!

I could go on and on with this. I never really was a fan of team-sports. There are just three that I really like: hockey (because it's a game of precision and speed), baseball (because I like the idea of trying to hit a little ball with a bat) and basketball (I like standing under the basket, having the ball passed to me and scoring points). I've never really tried to understand team-sports; they are simply beyond my understanding. I've just made up my mind that they are a stupid thing to do and that's that. End of story for me. However, I would love to read your opinions on them - as long as you don't try to convince me that football and others in this category are a sensible way of spending your spare time :)

10 Comments:

  • At May 09, 2006 12:22 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    Well for starters, if you criticise, try to be consistent ;)

    You state that you find team sports "funny" for various reasons, one of them being the risk of injury and potentially death. As for your football example, it's not just "old men" that play! Actually there are many of them as young as 20 :)

    As you go on with the article, you list the team sports that you do like (so perhaps not all of them are "funny" after all?), ice-hockey being the first on the list. Hockey?! I can understand the "speed and precision" part but that's all. I dare say that in hockey players are especially prone to injuries. As it in fact involves great speed and power, this means greater risk of injury. We know that in hockey these mostly come from: collision with other players (body check), collision with the boards, falling on ice, being struck by the puck or being struck by the stick. Often hockey players also like to fight it out with their bare fists.

    I cannot comment on baseball but I can and will comment on basketball :) Basketball is again a sport with quite a lot of physical contact. It may not look that way but you can be sure that the opposing players do not treat each other gently. It's also a sport where it's possible to play "dirty" and not having you (the observer) notice.

    Anyway, what's the point of team sports? I believe it to be fairly simple. It's about team play. It's about having a number of completely different individuals play as a team and trying to win. Think about it :)

     
  • At May 09, 2006 12:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm thinking...

    ...

    ...

    ...

    Ok, I thought about it. I may not be too consistent, but I still like the roughness of hockey and basketball. You see, to me even the fights in hockey are graceful :) And as far as basketball is concerned, I just can't help admiring all the jumping and muscles :) of the players! And with baseball - well, it's baseball :) I know that I criticize team sports, but I also give reasons as to why I like the three sports I picked out. I admit, there are other views to the three activities, as well, and you're absolutely right there. But nevertheless, I still like them :)

    Oh, and I admire your English! It's amazingly good and fluent! :) Are you a journalist by profession? Or have you perhaps spent a long time in an English-speaking country? I wonder...

     
  • At May 09, 2006 2:01 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    Thanks for your kind words of praise! However I'm afraid I'm going to have to disappoint you ;) I'm hardly a professional journalist and to be honest, I've never been to an English speaking country in my entire life! :) My knowledge comes from years of studying English in school, movies, all sorts of books, computer games and finally IRC. I'm currently working as a full-time software developer; writing is what I do in my free time.

     
  • At May 10, 2006 7:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, you sure have done a great job! :) Even many students at our university don't have such good knowledge of English. Congratulations! :)

    And about my post of "hungrily awaiting tips":
    I can see that I got myself a good computer coach ;) How lovely :)

     
  • At May 10, 2006 8:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Ah - sports. I'm an armchair sporting enthusiast. Have you ever watched "Aussie Rules" (Australian Football)? It leaves the rest for dead when you consider the gracefulness, beauty, sheer physical effort needed and the utter brutality of the body clashes. And then there is Cricket. Ah, Cricket. The purest of pure gentleman's games (some women play too). A "game" that can take up to five days to complete and be exciting right up to the last few minutes is beyond sport. It is life itself.

     
  • At May 10, 2006 11:17 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    This reminds me of a song which goes like this " I don't like cricket, I love it!" :)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 1:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Nice to hear from you, Trevor :) Aussie Rules you say - yes, I know what it is, though I've never had the chance to watch it since I live in Europe. I know that it's rough - practically anything is allowed (you can push, kick, shove, etc. others, right?) - you see, a friend of mine once had a presentation at a course I attended at the university: his topic was Aussie Rules.
    And cricket - now, this is fun to watch. Although I could never quite figure out the rules... (maybe I'll succeed in decoding them one day :) ) It really can take a looong time to finish the game - you can turn the TV on on Monday, then forget all about it and when you turn it on again on Sunday, you're just in time for the results :)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 1:44 AM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    Why bother trying to figure them out for yourself when you can find the rules on the Internet ;)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 1:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Mayhem, thanks for the wisdom - again! I wish I had your brains and practicality ;)

     
  • At May 11, 2006 2:26 PM, Blogger Mayhem said…

    You're welcome :)

    Much to learn you have, young padawan ;)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home