My Spot

Saturday, October 20, 2007

Delicious Dinner




These photos were taken about an hour ago :-) As you can see, we had a great dinner - we roasted chestnuts!! Yummyyyy!!! I love chestnuts in any edible form: cooked, as paste, in cakes, etc. But nothing can quite compare to roasted ones. You see, it's not just about eating them. To me, roasting chestnuts is a ceremony. First, there's the cutting (you have to make a small cut into every single fruit, so that they don't "explode" during the process of roasting). Then comes the roasting. The beautiful sweet smell fills the kitchen (and other rooms, too, if you forget to close the kitchen door ;-) ). It must be done properly in a heavy iron pan - otherwise you can forget the sweet smell and get ready for the stink of burnt chestnuts, which, I guarantee you, is not pleasant to smell or easy to get rid of. Finally, the ceremony of peeling and eating. Every single nut has to be peeled by hand while still hot. Always do this with some old newspapers spread over the table, so that your table won't get all black and dirty. It's great if you do it with friends or family members while chatting or watching TV. A word of advice: eat each fruit immediately after peeling - cold ones are not nearly as tasty as hot ones! Well, I hope you had an evening as delicious as ours was!!
Till next time,
Yours truly

4 Comments:

  • At November 04, 2007 6:58 AM, Blogger Dancin Fool said…

    They look fabulous. Not too many of ours grow big enough before they fall and also we are in competition with the squirrels!

    I picked some today with a friends little boy to have with his tea.

     
  • At November 04, 2007 7:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love chestnuts. I used to go picking them in the park accross the street, but they have pulled down the tree - it was too old and dangerous for the kids. So, now I just buy my chestnuts in the shop - they're not as good as the self-picked, though!
    By the way, our woods are full of chestnut trees and this year the harvest is abundant (so they say). But I don't have time to go and look for them, which is quite a shame... Well, I must admit I'm a bit afraid to go into the woods alone, too, because you can easily bump into a brown bear - where I live, there're a lot of them.

     
  • At November 04, 2007 7:34 AM, Blogger Dancin Fool said…

    Wow, I would love to live with such wild animals, although I am aware that they are not to be disturbed. We went to Finland last year and so learnt about how to behave in bear territory. Have you ever seen one? The people we spoke to in Finland said it was rare to see one as they will avoid people.

     
  • At November 04, 2007 8:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh yes, bears come into people's gardes here - especially if there are fruit trees around the house. During the winter the animals come to eat the leftover fruit (apples, pears, etc.). But so far no such "home-visit" has ended in an attack. Still, bears are not animals to play around with. They have been known to attack and injure people, who went into the forrest to pick mushrooms. I'm not sure if I really wanted to have one for a neighbour.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home